“An unexpected error occurred” while opening an Entity View in Dynamics CRM 2011

We had updated to Update Rollup 14 on one of our client organization earlier today and while regression testing came across a weird issue while opening up an Entity View in Dynamics CRM 2011.

An Unexpected Error occurred

I tried looking up in traces and run SQL profiler to try and grab the error but to no avail. Ultimately it turned out that the view had a few columns coming in from antoher entity.

Here is what I did to fix the view

  • Removed all the columns from the View except any one which is from the base entity.
  • Published customizations
  • Added all the columns again to the View
  • Published again

Viola, this just fixed the annoying pop-up that was coming up. Hope this will help a lot of troubleshooting time for many.